Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Market position

I have officially been placed into the job market! Dare I say that I am gonna go for gold. The interview I had with the recruitment leech this morning went remarkably well...at least I thought it went well. Whether I can maintain some form when the time comes is another story. I am finding it hard to really pin point what I am worth in today's market. I am convinced that I am worth more than what my current employer is offering. I believe I've always sold myself short and I think it high time I change this humble approach...I am almost excited by the prospect of playing a game. My life is so boring that I need something to enhance my range of feeling. Why not see what I can achieve? Why shouldn't I sell myself to the highest bidder? Am I oblidged to forsake a perceived, better life style, to a vague sense of loyalty. Is loyalty even considered virtuous anymore? Are we not programmed to upgrade and update...to discard the old for new...are we not set to believe that the new virtue for our time is obsolesence?

We live in an age of consumerism where the ultimate product is the buyer..the consumer...you and me!
William S Burroughs spoke of junk as being the
“....ultimate merchandise. The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise, he degrades and simplifies the client.” and so it is with the time we occupy now....the merchant is selling the consumer to the product where the merchant is the product and we are the consumer. In effect, we are not improving and simplifying merchandise, we are degrading and simplifying ourselves, with obsolescent thinking. Constantly being bamboozled with the perfect life...just around the corner....we can pick up a can of flowery spray and in an instant be transformed into Eros...a God of lust and irresistable charm...The ABC's Four Corners had a great special How The Kids Took Over the other night. I think it illustrated perfectly how we are fast becoming the product. Although the program depicted marketers as devising (perhaps devious) schemes on how to "imprint" consumers to a product or brand at a stage when they are yet to be considered consumerable...I see the Burroughs pyramid of junk being bought and sold as it were. As an extension of this theme I am postulating that we are the product and the merchant...one and the same. Perhaps when all is said and done....the end product is the end. We ultimately become the obsolescence.

I don't think I'm really making much sense with my dis-jointed point of view...however I am compelled to believe that I must in some sense view myself as the junk and also of the merchant when it comes to pitching the product to a prospective employer. I need to create the scenario where I sell the consumer to the product. To somehow degrade and simplify the client into thinking the perfect life is just around the corner... with the next fix...or in this case, the next project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home