Thursday, March 30, 2006

Positivity versus Creativity

Is it at all possible to have a level of positivity whilst maintaining a level of creativity? For me the creative daemon seems to dwell in a miserable place. Perhaps the very idea of creativity is in essence the positive drive, which stems from the chaotic whirl wind of a troubled, brooding mind. Perhaps creativity is being in touch with a spiritual centre and by allowing oneself to express the creative daemon in whatever form, it frees the negativity, which can overwhelm and in it's worst capacity, destroy. For me the outlet for erradicating the free radicals of negativity is the writing process. I have moved from writing in a private journal into this open ended medium for a little change in atmosphere. I really haven't considered who my audience is, I am writing for myself in essence so it probably matters not who is reading this apart from me. It allows me to focus on an internal struggle and then combine the conflict and perhaps resolution into words, freeing me from the wallowing feeling.

If I were to intellectualize this process in a semi scientific/spiritual sense, I am using two hemispheres of the brain. The left and right sides are in a duality of sorts and what comes from this crossing is the words which appear in front of you. While I search for answers in my meditative state I am consulting the inner world of emotion to perhaps reach some understanding of the ebb and flow that thoughts and feelings create. At the same time I am detatched from the intensity of feeling, perhaps because one hemisphere is dominant, I believe for me it is the left side, hence my psuedo intellectualizations and rationalizations. I added the /spiritual because it is the way I relate spiritualism, in a scientific imagining and reductionism. If spirituality can be defined as uplifting then writing allows me a sense of the spiritual. Prior to me beginning this bloggologue I was feeling somewhat down and bluesy...I am not feeling so much of it now, now that I have been focussed on the higher consciousness that is required to write. That is how I view this process...it is a creative process, even if the subject matter isn't embedded as a creative story as such. I do hope that I will continue this hobby into that part of writing though. I have a few ideas and have even started, yet for some reason I haven't continued with it for a long time. A recurring thought is that if I wrote but one page every day it would amount to 365 in a year, enough for a novel. It is one thing to hope, and another thing for a reality to eventuate, wishful thinking isn't going to make anything happen though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home