Monday, June 05, 2006

Time to upgrade

To mark the age of obsolescence I have upgraded my monitor (there was nothing wrong with the BenQ17in Flat Screen I had..I just wanted a LCD 19in Wide Screen, which I now have...A Viewsonic VA1912w) and I believe the time will soon come to pass when I upgrade this infernal dinosaur of a computer. I am quite fond of this machine, which sits before me and it will be a sad moment in my evolution when I pass it on to my Dad who will no doubt stuff it up more so than I. I built this machine almost four years ago and for a good three years I did not have one problem. The biggest problems began about a year ago..maybe nine months when I had my first system failure. After replacing the hard drive and purchasing a legitimate version of Windows XP I still had problems, running a windows memory diagnostic tool I discovered one of my sticks SD PC133 Ram was rooted, alas I only have 512Mb running now...A Gig previously was good. Now I have added a lot more hardware to this aging beast and my third system failure happened last week. After doing some investigative work I realised I had no fucking idea, so what is a dumb arse like me to do...rebuild! Format the fucking drive and reinstall windows. Luckily the clean install went smoothly...I've had numerous headaches trying to install windows on this machine...even from the beginning I had nothing but problems installing Windows 2000. Why am I ranting about this anyway? Suffice to say I have purchased an external hard drive to back up my files...I keep losing my files when I fuck up my installation of windows....I probably shouldn't install so much freeware...I have become semi obsessed with open source software...Why give Bill Gates anymore money...He has enough methinks.

The point of this rant is obsolesence....there is nothing inherently wrong with my PC..it is perhaps the user that is "wrong"...I want I faster machine so that I can rip movies and encode audio without waiting an eternity. I have upgraded my DSL to 1.5 Megabit and perhaps I will eventually get ADSL 2+....I am pretty happy with the connection speed I have now...the 512k connection was ok for an entry into broadband, however once one gets into torrents it just doesn't cut it. What can I say..I am greedy.

Enough! Though it never seems to be enough. Possibly it is my biggest flaw.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home