Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Will it stop?

I've come to the conclusion that I whinge a lot. The sad part is I've nothing at all to complain about. I have everything I need and then some, yet somewhere along the way I've missed the point. I've missed the mark by a long shot. It's almost as if I blinked my eye and there before my vision lay the "isle of torment and woe". I have been blessed with a very fortunate existence and for some reason I've held the belief that I've been given a hard trot. Well I am wrong, what I have is indeed privileged and I really need to acknowledge this privilege daily, as a ritual. An attitude of gratitude needs to be my priority. I really need to see what I have as a gift rather than something I've toiled over and deserve. I've done very little to have the things I have in my life. About the only thing I've had to do is front up. All that has been required for me to do is show up and do what I had to do and extraordinary things have occurred.

I take things for granted and then become dissatisfied and obsessed with what I don't have, all the time believing that if only I had that next thing I'd be alright. It's self defeating and plainly an utterly arrogant position I've put myself in. What do I give back for my privilege? I make a few token gestures to ease my guilt perhaps. However is this enough to appreciate the position I am in? I donate a few dollars to a couple of charities, small change when so many have real struggles and face extraordinary difficulties. I can even imagine those very people having easily more gratitude for anything they receive than what I seem to have for all that I possess. Absolute greed on my part. I could very well give a little more than just a few token dollars. I have skills and perhaps talents that could be put to better use than by my over indulgence in self. It's really time I got off my ass and did something useful. Time to wake up and smell the coffee or lose what I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home