Thursday, February 02, 2006

Conform or else!

I
t would seem that one needs to conform to a set of ideals to belong to something. God forbid if you have a differing opinion and dare to detract from some essence which is considered a norm. If I struggle to believe in something must I automatically think I am wrong in the belief system I have. If by chance my beliefs differ from a set value, a paradigm which demands I accept without question, am I oblidged to abandon any sense of value I possess to serve this form as gospel? I am confronted with an overwhelming sense that I am an outsider, that I don't belong and I believe it is totally okay.

The world and any given community needs it's dissenters, indeed all superorganisms rely on this mechanism to survive. Howard Bloom wrote about the need for conformity enforcers and diversity generators in bacterial realms and in larger social networks such as our own. Perhaps I am intellectualizing my anger at having to perform a routine that I am soley responsible for. At any given moment I could change this routine or if I were to take an extreme action I could abandon it all together. So invariably it is a waste of energy rationalizing and justifying my indignation, which in essence is unjustifiable.

I need to live in a community so therefore I need to make some concessions. Perhaps the allegory is just that, making concessions in order for a compromise and peace, namely inner peace to exist.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home